Monday, November 9, 2009

Repair a Glider Rocker


My wife's glider rocker blew out a bearing and oblonged the stud side mount hole. I needed to support the stud and I wanted something stronger. I got some 7/8 inch heavy washers. I sized the hole to exactly the same as the stud. I took my 7/8 inch Forstner and bored on both sides of the stud hole just enough to flush the washer. Bolted the new bearing in place - TA DA! Better than new. We will see how it bears the test of time.

UPDATE: It is now June of 2014 and the bearing are still holding up just fine.  The increased support prevents the shaft from twisting downward when loaded (ie: two teenagers being silly).  The key is washering both sides of the stud hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome! All comments are subject to moderation.